Canopy Group & The Indiana Economic Development Corporation
Canopy Group, a technology development firm, tapped us to create a new entrepreneurial venture: The BizCafé. We developed the BizCafé brand, name, visual identity, website, and subsequent PR.
Firm principal Cairril Mills acted as project lead, heading a five-state team of designers, illustrators, production artists, copywriters, programmers, and usability experts.
This was a major project, nearly two years in the making, and delivered ultimately to the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (formerly the Indiana Department of Commerce) for licensing at IndianaBizCafe.com. Canopy plans to market the BizCafé nationwide and continue to add features.
The Indiana BizCafé is tailored for entrepreneurs, investors,
mentors, and other business people who need easy access to grants, government procurement, capital, investment opportunities, business expertise, and more. Members receive automatic notices of new federal government opportunities and are also able to communicate securely with other members.
The site is fully compliant with federal accessibility guidelines and received high marks in a battery of usability tests. The BizCafé is unique; no other website offers its combination of information and method of delivery.
“I think this is great idea for new companies, and established companies who are looking for services and grants,” notes Dr. J. Jeff Schwegman of AB BioTechnologies, LLC.
“I really like the potential of this site. I think it will be a very valuable tool for my consulting work as well as for economic development opportunities,” adds Linda Williamson, economic development consultant and president of Go! Growth
We'd like to take this opportunity to thank the team that worked so hard to make the BizCafé a reality—especially those who put up with Cairril’s exacting standards for so long!
- The IEDC: Project funding and ownership. Bruce Kidd (owner), Jim Grass (marketing), Derrick Davis (technology), Brooke Pyne (SBIR/STTR), Linda Peterson-Roe (project management and cat herder)
- Canopy Group, Inc.: Project oversight, planning, and whip cracking.
Craig Hickman (tech expert, state liaison, sugar supplier), Brian Kleber (Chief Visionary, project overseer, concept developer, referee)
- The Development Team: Project development and insomnia.
- Cairril Mills: Project lead, concept designer, brand definition, site designer, user experience designer, copywriter, accessibility consultant
- Cathy Moore: Brand definition, usability consultant, copywriter
- Ryan Cage: Programmer
- Ian Desormeaux: Programmer
- David Ernst: Programmer
- Forrest Oliphant: Production artist
- Travis Tom: Icon specialist
- Michael Cagle: Illustrator
- Bill Kissinger: Concept developer
- Daniel B. Bicknell: Usability consultant
View the website developed by Cairril.com
Read the national press release